Monday, May 14, 2018

Week 93 - Ny Bainga no Vavolombelon'ny Mpiasa

Salama e! Ao tsara? I hope you all had another great week! I know I did! First off, Rodeo's baptism was great! It was an awesome experience and he loved it. I have definitely not seen him smile that much since I have met him. The first thing he said was, "Wow! I'm so happy!" He is a stud and its been awesome to see how much he has changed so that he can better follow Christ. We visited him the day before his baptism and talked with him. The time before that he mentioned how its kind of scary making a covenant with God and knowing that it will take a lot of change on his part. We gave him Alma 36 to read about Alma's conversion. Then when we visited with him the day before his baptism. He shared a lot of his feelings. He compared himself to Alma; he said before he had lots of friends that were French and many didn't believe in God. They would tell him that God is a myth created by poor countries so they have something to hope for. Rodeo said he kind of started to believe that. Then he said but Alma had an angel come to him and tell him what was true and you guys came to me and told me all about the Restoration and the truth! He said he talked to lots of members and missionaries of different churches but none gave him the desire to change. But for some reason when he started learning with us he felt strengthened and wanted to change. Man, I can sure promise you my teaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not what moved him to change but his Heavenly Father encouraging him through the Spirit is what he felt. I love Rodeo and how sincere he is. He would constantly tell us how its hard to change and live the commandments. One thing I have noticed a lot on my mission is how being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints isn't all that easy. It takes a lot. Living worthy of the commandments and principles taught in this church sure is a high standard to live by. A lot of times people say stuff like, "Man those Mormons just ask too much of ya or those Mormons are over the top. We don't need to do all that stuff and keep all those commandments to follow Christ." Now I am sorry if this comes off a little strong but statements and beliefs like that are from no one but the devil himself. We believe in God, right? The God that has all power, strength, knowledge, wisdom, and all the above? The God that is greater than anyone or anything in the Heavens and the Earth? Well if we do, why do we think he would only ask us to keep a few commandments and standards? If we compare this to sports, God would be the coach and we would be the players. I sure have never heard of a championship winning coach or even just a slightly succesful coach come in at halftime and say, Alright fellas, all we gotta do is shoot 50% from the free throw line this half and we might just have a shot at winning this game." Since when does a good leader ever set the bar low? Now God has a little bit more knowledge than Phil Jackson also. Why would we think for even a slight second that God our Heavenly Father would command us to be anything less than our very best? Heavenly Father sure didn't let our Savior have an easy way out. He didn't tell Christ that he just needed to suffer for the kind of bad sins of the world and only the pains and sufferings that don't hurt too much. No, He sent Christ to suffer for all. Everything and anything that can even be imagined. And now we expect God to say to us. Alright you have a Savior now go out there and shoot 50%. Go out there and live just ok and average lives. Man, if being a member of this church seems a little hard at times and we feel its asking a little much of us then hallelujah it must be true! If this church was led by men, it wouldn't ask so much of us, but I know it is led by God and thats why the bar is high. I know God our Heavenly Father wants us to live great lives and lives full of happiness. As we keep His commandments we will find that happiness. I'm so grateful for a Savior that suffered for me. Although I know this is the path and this church is His restored church, I sure do mess up and fall down a lot but I know that as long as I don't leave the path and give up, He is always there leading me along by the hand. It sure is hard to be a Mormon sometimes. But how grateful I am for that. I hope we all know and understand that through living the commandments and teachings in this church and repenting when we fall short and trying and trying again we will one day return to live with our Heavenly Father. I hope you all have a great week!! Mazotoa!! 
 A pic at Patrick and Faniry's house  Patrick is a way successful guy and they had a huge cake for his bday haha it was good.  
 A pic of this guy selling these shower things I assume he invented. Malagasies shower out of these yellow bucket container things and this guy hooked a shower head onto some and was selling them haha way good idea. 
 Some views of our area! 
 I saw Eric, who I baptized over a year ago again. He was with his girlfriend and her friend. He is planning for a mission and doing great. He was asking me about James the Mormon and if I know his songs hahaha. Eric and I had some photo bombers haha.

 Pics of Rodeo's baptism and the lunch after!

  Us taking some members over to Rodeo's after the baptism.



A baptism in Fort D. The mom and two little kids in front is the family of Ronaldin, the tour guide. The girl on far left, I taught also. So good to see them baptized! Ronaldin will be next baptism hopefully!